Welcome to the Pathways to Education™ Volunteer Team!
Volunteers play an important role at Pathways to Education™ and much of our success is directly attributed to over 200 volunteers who work tirelessly in our tutoring and mentoring programs. As Pathways to Education™ grows, so does our need for volunteers. We continue to recruit people from all sectors to support the delivery of our programs. We offer excellent opportunities, training and support. Join the dedicated team of Pathways to Education™ volunteers and you will see how your time contribution will make a difference in the lives of Regent Park youth.
What is in it for you?
Above all...a very rewarding volunteer experience, and the opportunity to:
- help Regent Park youth to graduate from high school and continue on to post-secondary education
- contribute to your community at large
- develop new skills
- explore a new career
- increase your practical experience
- grow personally
- meet new people
- participate in training initiatives
Who are Pathways to Education™ volunteers?
We look for people who demonstrate passion for their role, dedication and commitment to our students. Above all, our volunteers must
- be serious about their volunteer commitment
- have enough time to commit themselves for at least two hours per week on a regular basis for a minimum of one school year (with breaks corresponding to those of the Toronto District School Board)
- be patient, respectful and act within the boundaries outlined in their role description
- enjoy teaching, explaining school subjects
- have energy and enthusiasm
- possess a desire to make a difference in someone’s life!
What are the current volunteer opportunities?
Among other volunteer opportunities, we always have available positions for volunteer tutors and mentors. Volunteers able to tutor high school math, sciences and various subjects in French are especially needed.
- commit to one evening or afternoon per week for three hours to tutor students in small groups or one-on-one
- tutor students with a range of abilities in subjects from grades 9 to 12
- specialize in at least one subject (math, sciences, English, French, or social sciences, or literacy)
- are available to mentor a group of 15 students with one or two other co-mentors
- commit to a mentoring group, two to three hours, once every other week between October and May
- offer ideas applying communication and negotiation skills to activities, a theme or a group project
What are the initial requirements to become a volunteer?
- complete the volunteer intake package
- complete an interview
- pass a vulnerable sector criminal background check
- provide two professional references
- attend the mandatory training sessions required for the position applied for
How do I apply?
If you meet the basic requirements, please contact the administrator of volunteer office by phoning 416-642-1570 ext. 241 or emailing email@example.com , and take the first step toward becoming a volunteer. We will ask you to come to the Volunteer office on the 2nd floor of 411 Parliament St. At that time, you can expect to talk briefly about your skills, experience and how you'd like to help the Pathway to Education Regent Park programs. Please bring a current resume and the names and phone numbers of two professional references.
Once accepted as a volunteer, you will be required to attend a volunteer training where we will review the organization's history, mission, policies, procedures and other information of interest to volunteers.
All volunteers need to be committed to the success of our students. Your role, whether you are directly involved with students or not, is to support the staff to enhance the services we provide to our students.
Please note that we held several volunteer intakes during the year and we receive a large number of applications and so you may be placed on a waiting list.
We would be pleased to speak with you by phone or email to answer any questions you may have.
Please contact Meredith Kenny, Administrator of the Volunteer Office at 416-642-1570 ext. 241 or firstname.lastname@example.org and for additional information view regentparkp2e.org